♥Welcome♥

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Desires? Sayonara!

Name: Lee Jun Hiang(13)
Class: 1A
Date: 17th April 2010
Personal Recount

I am not one, who believes in luck, but an incident changed my view about it and now, I actually believe that it exists. The incident occurred on the day of my secondary school posting. I wondered whether I would be going to Methodist Girls’ School or Cedar Girls’ Secondary School. I was crossing my fingers, every ounce of me praying that I would get into Cedar Girls’ Secondary School. If not, I would have to wake up at 5 every morning to be able to get to school on time and would have to spend 3 hours each day travelling there and back. However, if I went to Cedar Girls’ Secondary School, I get to wake up at 6 instead and only need to spend 1hour and 30 minutes travelling there and back. I was desperately hoping to get into Cedar Girls Secondary School.
The only reason why Methodist Girls’ School became one of my choices was because my mother wanted me to go to an independent school. She said I could handle the travelling time and I trusted her, until I experienced it first hand for myself when she took me on a trip there to experience what it was like. By then, it was too late to change my choice of the schools I wished to be posted to. Then, the phone rang. I was hoping earnestly that it was the office staff from Cedar Girls’ Secondary School calling me up, about to inform me that I had been successfully posted into Cedar Girls’ Secondary School.
My mother picked up the receiver. I stared at her unblinkingly, my eyes filled with earnest anticipation and anxiety. I was dying to know if I had been posted to Cedar Girls’ Secondary School. The atmosphere was very tense. It was so silent that one would have been able to her a pin drop clearly. I whispered to her, “Have I entered Cedar?” She nodded her head grinning. I jumped while punching my fist in the air.
My deepest desire has been fulfilled. I was overcome by a sense of relief and happiness so great that words cannot be used to express. I initially thought that this day could not get any better, until I received a text message from my dad. He told me that his friend’s female Yorkshire terrier had just given birth to 3 adorable puppies and had given him one puppy to thank him for helping his dog give birth. My dad has friends who are vets or own pet shops and through interaction with them, he has accumulated a wide range of knowledge about dogs, including how to help a dog give birth. Thus many of his friends approach him when their dogs are ill, or about to give birth. This is also partly the reason why he always emphasises to me, knowledge is power.
It was simply dream come true! I had always wanted a Yorkshire terrier puppy and now I do! Yorkshire terriers are genetically small and rarely grow bigger than the size of a puppy despite being an adult. They are prized for being small and adorable, the smaller the better and of course more expensive. I first saw one in a pet shop. I was doing a project on the different breeds of dogs and my dad suggested that the entire family go to a pet shop to look at the different breeds of dogs. It was then that I spotted it. I fell in love with it immediately. My dad then told me all about Yorkshire terriers. I was since then determined to get one. Now, it has finally been bestowed upon me! I paced around the room, eagerly waiting for him to come home. Eventually, he came home and in his arms was the cutest puppy I had ever seen! We settled on the name “beauty” for it and it became the family’s little “wonder” dog. I believe that it was too much of a coincidence for two of my deepest desires to be fulfilled in one day and there was not a more appropriate term than luck to be used. Since then, I believed that luck does exist and I can say sayonara confidently, which means good bye, to my desires.

0 comments:

Post a Comment